Intake Program

Intake Workers (social workers) meet with individuals and families to evaluate their needs and refer them to the appropriate services in the community. They also offer short-term and crisis counseling, attend community events and advocate on behalf of their clients.

What can I talk about with an Intake Worker?

You can talk with an Intake Worker about any subject that you desire.  No subject matter is off limits.  Examples of subjects: housing, employment, GLBT, immigration, abuse, counseling, mental health, budgeting, arrears, clothing, food, medical, furniture, income taxes, workshop, suicide, crisis, etc… An Intake Worker can assess the situation and determine the appropriate resources in the community. Please make your request, and we can determine if we can assist or find an organization who can!

How does the OCCRC define crisis?

A crisis is defined by the OCCRC as circumstances or situations that go beyond an individual’s capacity to resolve on their own without support. An individual or family can meet with an Intake Worker to discuss their crisis situation and see what assistance can be provided and the appropriate services that can be useful.

Who can see an Intake Worker?

Generally, an Intake Worker works with individuals over 16 years of age.  Families seeking services for individuals under 16 years of age can meet with an Intake Worker to determine what services are appropriate in the community.  Certain programs located within the OCCRC require individuals and families to meet with and Intake Worker to determine eligibility and obtain a referral to these programs.

What is your catchment area and can exceptions be made?

The OCCRC catchment area is East of Champlain St. to the boundaries of Prescott-Russell.  Intake Workers determine your catchment area based on your postal code in order to best assist you.  Certain programs can only serve clients in their catchment area to ensure that all community members’ needs are met.  These programs include, but not limited to, the food bank, income taxes, school supplies, etc.

How is low-income defined at the OCCRC and must I be low-income to obtain services at the OCCRC?

The OCCRC uses the Low-Income Cut-Off (LICO) Scale published by Statistics Canada every year to determine low-income eligibility. Certain programs, such as the food bank, income taxes and school supplies are based on income, whereas others, such as counseling, referrals, Ontario Early Years Centre, etc., have no financial criteria.

Are your Intake Workers affiliated with Children’s Aid Society (CAS) or Ontario Works (OW)?

No, the Intake Workers at the OCCRC are NOT affiliated with either CAS or OW.  They offer a neutral, unbiased opportunity for individuals to express themselves and explain their frustrations.  The OCCRC Intake Workers work with individuals and community agencies to come to resolution when disputes occur.  The Intake Workers advocate on behalf of their clients and the Orléans-Cumberland Community.

My doctor wants me to meet with a psychiatrist or psychologist to discuss my ongoing issues, can I come to the OCCRC for these services?

The OCCRC does not offer the services of psychiatrists nor psychologists at this time.  The Intake Workers can offer up to 6 sessions of counseling to assist individuals with their ongoing issues.  Individuals looking for longer sessions are referred to community partner agencies like Catholic Family Services, Women and Violence, etc. Please note that these sessions are with a social worker or counselor.